Thursday, May 22, 2008

Horoscopes and Fortune Tellers

I've always been a bit fascinated by these things. NOT by the horoscopes or the fortune tellers, but by the people who seem to put so much faith in them. Amazing, really. I avoid looking at horoscopes because I don't want to ever get caught up in them, and they can certainly draw you in. Like walking into and spider web. But if you are one who gets caught up in them, consider this: read each of the paragraphs, each of the sentences. Likely just about everything written is in such general terms that it could apply to almost anyone on any given day. But take it a step further. Have someone take the horoscope out of any paper on any day and actually cut out each paragraph individually, but cut OFF the star sign so that they have only little slips of newspaper with the statements. Now, carefully read each one and see if you can pick out which one applies to your sign. The odds are against you. In fact, according to a book titled "Why Do Buses Always Come In Threes - the Mathematics of Everyday Life" a study was done that proved that people cannot pick out the statements that apply to themselves. They cannot match up the statements with the star signs. What happens is that someone reads their sign and believes the parts that MIGHT apply to them, and ignores the ones that don't. Not too scientific is it? Want to really know how your day will turn out? Well, I can't predict the future any better than you can. But I have found that with very few exceptions, my day usually turns out pretty much the way I expect it to, day after day after day. If I get myself in a positive frame of mind and decide to have a good day, I usually do. You can do the same. Why would you rely on someone else to tell you what kind of day you will have?

No comments: